Case Study - BIM for a Pharmaceutical Building in Connecticut
BIM modeling and clash coordination services from the schematic design to the construction documents phase and integrating BMS data into BIM for the building facilities.
- Project Name : Pharmaceuticals Building Project, Wethersfield, CT
- Services Provided : BIM Modeling, Clash Detection, Clash Coordination, Integrating Building Management System
- Client : Russell and Dawson Inc.
- LOD : 300
- SQFT : 74,447
- Tools : Navisworks, Revit, and AutoCAD
Inputs from Client
- Revit design model (Architectural, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing)
- Shop drawings
- Design changes/redlines
- Company standards – template, drafting guidelines, file naming conventions, etc.
- Develop BIM models (Architectural, Structural, MEP-FP)
- Coordinated BIM model
- BIM-BMS integrated model
- Attend virtual meetings (On-site & Off-site)
- Final construction documents set (2D drawings & 3D model)
- BIM modeling and coordination
- Clash detection and clash reports generation
- BIM for BMS (Building Management System)
- On-site & off-site coordination and meetings with the stakeholders
- Attend virtual meetings
- Collaborate with the design team, and contractor team for change orders and RFI’s
This was a sustainable design and build project of 20,000 sq. ft. of pharmaceutical building based out of Connecticut. The client requirements in this project were to produce a very well-coordinated construction documents set and integrate data acquisition system such as building management system (BMS) by taking advantage of technological trends of using BIM to facilitate the understanding of how BMS data can be analyzed to inform design iterations. This project is a contemporary approach to a historic looking structure which is combined with the modern engineering to meet all current codes and to make an energy efficient building. United-BIM Inc. was involved in this project from the start of the schematic design to construction documents phase for the BIM modeling and clash coordination of architectural, structural, and MEPFP system. As a BIM coordinator we were closely coordinating and communicating with the design and engineering team to produce a coordinated BIM model. The technology advances in BIM offers us an opportunity to integrate BMS data to BIM to facilitate real-time monitoring and automated control of building’s mechanical and electrical equipment such as ventilation, physical access control, air-conditioning, heating, elevators, pumping stations, lighting, power systems, fire systems, and security systems etc.
Project skills & expertise
Our 900+ projects experience in BIM modeling and clash coordination led to successfully delivering the project. We have coordinated with different consultants involved for BMS to integrate BMS data into the BIM model. The unique design and octagon shape of the building was a learning experience for our BIM modelers. We were closely working with designs and engineering stakeholders which helps us to deliver the project on time.