Case Study - Clash Detection, LOD 400 Modeling & 4D BIM Scheduling
LOD 350 Model with Clash Detection, LOD 400 Modeling, and 4D Scheduling for a School project adhering to guidelines of the State of Connecticut.
Our Goal was to Develop a Fully Workable, Coordinated, Constructible Model with Projected 4D BIM Phasing & Scheduling Linked to the Virtual Schedule.
- An Integrated Architecture, Engineering and Construction Firm
- A/E/C - Architecture/Engineering/Construction
- MEPFP Coordination and Clash Detection, LOD 400 modeling, and 4D Scheduling
- Autodesk - Navisworks, Revit, AutoCAD
- About Project
- According to the DAS BIM guidelines, the modeling goal was to develop a parametric model, derived data and the coordinated discipline models for the project.
- The Client - An integrated AEC firm based in Hartford, CT
- Client's Requirements: Clash Detection, LOD 400 Modeling, and 4D Scheduling by following the guidelines of the State of Connecticut.
- Project Deliverables - All model deliverables were handed over in their native format (i.e., .rvt , .pln) and in IFC format, .dwg and .dwf format, .nwd, .nwf, .nwc as required.
- Deliverable Requirements: Preparation of 4D BIM Construction Phasing Model schedule with fully coordinated models and in their native formats
- Project Brief
- Our client wanted BIM expertise, on-time delivery and within the specified budget. We delivered 3D, parametric and coordinated BIM model according to the BIM Execution Plan (BXP) by the Department of Administration Services of State of Connecticut.
- Clash Detection and Coordination- Outlining the general expectations of following color schemes for model objects (colors by the trade discipline) and expected collision tests and tolerances.
- 4D BIM Construction Scheduling- Integrated model of Construction Phasing Modeling Schedule with the coordinated design model at 50% Design Development (DD) stage, 50% Construction Document (CD) stage and 100% Construction Document (CD) stage.
- Model Sharing and Handoff- Sharing of models with internal and external team members including Collaboration Platform, Model Exchange Schedule and License Template for external sharing.
- Milestones- BIM specific meetings and checkpoints at every phase (Project kickoff, Design, Construction, Sub-contractor engagement, and Closeout)
Project skills & expertise
The BIM authoring software were used for the execution of this project were Navisworks, Revit and AutoCAD from Autodesk’s 2018 AEC collection package. Dedicated BIM modelers worked in sync with client’s requirements to deliver accurate 4D BIM Construction Schedules. The model was developed at LOD 400 and clash detection was performed as per CT, DAS Guidelines.
Read more about our BIM Services as per CT, DAS guidelines- Click Here
Download Infographic on MEP/Construction Coordination Workflow
This infographic gives you a complete picture of MEP/Construction Coordination that takes place at different phases of the building development process starting from the pre-design stage till the facility management stage. It highlights the Level of Detail information and inputs and outputs at each stage of the building design process.